Unveiling Lesser-Known Functions of VPNs
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) have become essential tools for safeguarding our online privacy and security.
VPN allows people to run a safe and encrypted online connection. As for smartphone users, they may use a VPN for more extensive uses, whether for privacy or anonymity. VPN extends a private connection to break into geographic blocking and censorship. Many use VPN for the OTT streaming service to access restricted content. It is also the best choice for sending and receiving data securely via mobile.
While many of us are familiar with basic VPN functionalities such as encryption, kill switches, and DNS leak protection, there are lesser-known features offered by certain VPN providers that can enhance our online experience even further.
Hidden Functions of VPNs
Some VPN providers offer enhanced features than just basic encryption services. Each brand might have a different name for each of these features, but they are basically offering the same functionality.
- Stealth Mode: This feature conceals VPN usage by blending VPN traffic with regular HTTPS traffic. It helps prevent ISPs and other entities from detecting or blocking VPN traffic, providing an additional layer of security and privacy.
- Selective Routing: With split-tunnelling, users can divide their internet traffic between the VPN and their regular internet connection. This allows specific apps or websites to use the VPN while keeping other traffic outside the VPN tunnel, enabling access to local services without compromising online security. Surfshark’s Split-Tunnelling is one example of this feature.
- Unrestricted Access Mode: Designed for users in regions with strict internet censorship, NoBorders mode allows bypassing of such restrictions. It grants access to restricted content or websites, ensuring unrestricted access to information and services.
- Multi-Server Hopping: This feature routes internet traffic through multiple VPN servers in different locations, adding an extra layer of encryption and anonymity. By hopping between servers, this function enhances privacy and data protection.
- CleanGuard Shield: This feature helps provide a cleaner and safer browsing experience by blocking ads, malware, and phishing attempts. It maintains a clutter-free online environment while enhancing online security.
- Memory-Based Servers: This innovative feature runs VPN servers entirely on RAM, with no hard drives. Servers reset with every restart, erasing any data, and ensuring that user information is not stored permanently.
- Cyber Guard: This feature protects against malware, ads, and phishing attempts by blocking harmful content before it reaches the user’s device, enhancing security and providing an ad-free browsing experience.
- Private Sentinel Servers: This function involves operating servers solely by the VPN provider’s team, eliminating any third-party involvement in managing the servers. It provides an extra layer of security and privacy.
Mobile application precautions
A VPN is a useful tool for bypassing internet censorship and accessing content without restrictions. It provides added security when using public WiFi on smartphones by encrypting data and creating a secure tunnel to prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, a VPN masks your IP address, ensuring anonymity while browsing, blocking unwanted interactions like pop-up ads, and making your online activities harder to track.
When installing a VPN on your smartphone, there are free and premium versions available. Use it effectively and cautiously to maximize its benefits. In addition, although it is generally wise to avoid downloading VPN APKs from third parties, it is perfectly fine to download them from the provider’s official website or its affiliates.