All You Need to Know About Getting a Pet Tortoise

All You Need to Know About Getting a Pet Tortoise

Written by Deepak Bhagat, In Pet, Published On
July 4, 2023
, 317 Views

Adding a new companion into your life can sometimes seem challenging, especially when you are unfamiliar with the pet’s characteristics. The market offers you different types of pets. Some shed fur, and some don’t. Some are more docile and trained, and some don’t even listen to you for a minute.

So, when you decide to go for a sulcata tortoise for sale, there are some crucial things to know. They can live long lives, and your steadfast commitment is necessary to keep this exquisite pet in good health. So let’s clear out the false facts and learn more about these fascinating creatures.

Important Considerations Before Purchasing a Pet Tortoise

Tortoise
Image Credit – freepik.com

Tortoises can make wonderful family pets, but there are a few things to remember. Let’s go over them in more detail.

Tortoises are Different from Turtles

Turtles and tortoises are two distinct species. Although the terms are used interchangeably, a turtle and a tortoise differ in several ways, including:

  • The shell of a tortoise is heavier and thicker than that of a turtle
  • Turtles are omnivores, whereas tortoises are herbivores
  • Turtles prefer living in water-based areas, whereas tortoises mostly live on land

These differences might seem insignificant, but they can greatly impact how you take care of your pet tortoise.

Diet and Nutrition Intake

Diet is another important thing to keep in mind for your pet tortoise. You must ensure that the daily intake comprises around 80% of vegetables. The remaining 20% should be allocated to protein and fruits.

Feeding too much protein to your tortoise’s diet might sound like a good idea. However, a high-protein diet can impact your pet’s health and can lead to significant issues, such as:

  • Stunted growth
  • Malnutrition
  • Improper shell growth
  • Death (in severe cases)

Also, make sure that calcium is a part of the tortoise’s diet since it plays a major role in their growth. Therefore, choose a good quality calcium supplement for your pet.

UVA/UVB Light and Heat

Keep in mind that tortoises require heat and UVA/UVB lighting. It is best to arrange a UVA/UVB bulb for light stimulation rather than direct sunlight, particularly in summer. Since most tortoises come from rainforests or deserts, their natural habitat has a lot of heat.

So, you can create the same sense of environment by having heat bulbs in their habitat. Mimicking the same lighting and heating will not negatively impact their growth.

Tortoise Enclosure

Lastly, the tortoise enclosure is something that you should also note. Ideally, the tortoise enclosure size would vary depending on your pet type. Most adult sulcata tortoises will require a huge enclosure because of their size.

If you choose any other type of tortoise, build an enclosure that is at least 6 times bigger than the length of the shell and 4 times big than its width. Also, there should be a basking area in the enclosure.

Final Thoughts

You can have a long-term friend by buying a tortoise as a pet. Just ensure their habitat, diet, and environment are maintained properly, and this pet will be fine. Don’t miss out on getting the sulcata tortoise for sale today!

Also Read -   Crufts 2023: Schedule, Viewing Details, and Everything You Need to Know
Related articles
Join the discussion!