Top 13 Most Common UX Mistakes Web Designers Make
- 1.1 1. When you design for yourself –
- 1.2 2. If you do not make the use of universal icons –
- 1.3 3. If your site is not responsive –
- 1.4 4. If the forms to be filled are complicated –
- 1.5 5. If the optimization is bad –
- 1.6 6. If you invent so many new patterns –
- 1.7 7. If the website is designed without figuring out the content –
- 1.8 8. If you do not test your iterations for usability –
- 1.9 9. If you use so much text –
- 1.10 10. If the navigation is poor –
- 1.11 11. If you make the use of a large number of popups –
- 1.12 13. Use of carousels –
Giving a good experience to users and keeping them engaged is the mission of a web designer. He helps the people visiting sites to achieve what they want and converts them into customers. Designers follow several trends and design patterns to perform their tasks. Sometimes they take shortcuts. They also want to consider aesthetics as the base for performing the tasks. The problem in this is that because of the inappropriate deployment of popular trends some UX mistakes occur. Web designers take interest in doing things but not in learning those things. Some designers think that if the site looks attractive then the users will take interest in it and the user engagement will increase. But because of this, the usability of the site is sacrificed. This has increased the bounce rate of a lot of sites because of the inability of the user to understand the UI. So, it is necessary to add value to the site that is aesthetically pleasing. Now I am going to tell you the top 13 most common UX mistakes web designers make.
Top 13 Most Common UX Mistakes Web Designers Make
1. When you design for yourself –
If you do not take interest in identifying your target audience, competitors, market trends etc. and design a site for yourself then it can result in a big mistake. It is possible that you do not perform any research on the above mentioned things and work blindly. In this situation your expectations and needs cannot be met properly. The needs of the audience can be different from what you think. So, always try to understand this first.
2. If you do not make the use of universal icons –
Sometimes because of the good looks of an icon the designers want to use it. The user does not recognize the new icon and gets confused. Therefore, it becomes necessary here to add text below the icon so that the user can get the information about it. If you will use a universal icon then the people will identify it easily. It can look ugly but it is far better than a new fancy icon.
3. If your site is not responsive –
Always design your site like that a user can access it by using any device like mobile phone or desktop or tablet. Make sure that your webpage looks perfect on any device that audience uses. But if the web page does not fit the device of the user then he can consider it as a broken site that doesn’t work well. He will not stay on the site any more. So, it is necessary for the site to be responsive. Along with this your webpage should include all those elements that are necessary. It is necessary that your webpage has a cart button so that the user can add items in the cart by using this feature.
4. If the forms to be filled are complicated –
Suppose you visit a site to purchase a particular product and a form appears on the webpage that has 20 fields to fill. Will you fill the form? The answer is no. A simple form is always preferred so as to save time.
5. If the optimization is bad –
Visualize yourself as if you want to use your mobile phone in order to get useful information by accessing a site and the site doesn’t give you that information immediately. Instead, it makes you wait while some heavy image files are getting downloaded. Then what will you do? You will leave the site. So, to retain the customers, do optimization of the site for slow computers, slow connections and mobile phones.
6. If you invent so many new patterns –
If you think that by inventing many patterns that are innovative and new you can attract the visitors to your site then you are wrong. Always use that model that people expect commonly.
7. If the website is designed without figuring out the content –
Sometimes graphic execution is sufficient and so design the webpage according to that. But the designer makes it interactive after getting influenced with media. It is a big mistake.
8. If you do not test your iterations for usability –
It is a possibility that you cannot expect some very big mistakes related to the user experience. Like technology dysfunction symptoms that happen frequently or platform permutations or unintended consequences.
9. If you use so much text –
If the information hierarchy is not clear even after using so much text then it is a big mistake. The user will not get the expected results if the message is not clear.
10. If the navigation is poor –
If the navigation is poor then the user can not move from one webpage to the other webpage easily and conveniently. He will not get the desired results and will leave the site. Remember whether it is desktop or mobile or any other device, you need to craft the feature of navigation for it.
11. If you make the use of a large number of popups –
Your conversion rate will increase if you will use a large number of popups and so many marketing people take interest in it. But a lot of popups will hide a big part of the useful content that the user wants to see. Because of this he can leave the site and will never return again. Therefore, it will be good if you avoid so many popups in your webpage.
12. Scroll hijacking – It is a very big issue related to the websites. When a designer implements this feature in a website then the user cannot scroll the page up or down as per his requirement and convenience. This activity of the website can confuse and frustrate him. Your site can get hurt with this. So, always avoid scroll hijacking.
13. Use of carousels –
Suppose you have a content and you want to rotate through it by using a slideshow then this is known as carousels. But a lot of people do not take interest in the slideshow and they scroll it down. As a result, they cannot see the information that is present within it. It affects the user experience negatively.
If you take interest in outsourcing the job of designing the website to a Freelancer then contact website designer India.