How to List on the MLS by Owner in Texas
The Multiple Listing Service or MLS is a database used by realtors to list a property. Only agents who have a license can access this MLS.
In order to sell their home, it is necessary that sellers list it on the local MLS. This will make sure that only the appropriate buyers and their agents see your listing.
However, a seller cannot list on the MLS on their own. Either they require an agent or they can opt for flat fee MLS listing services.
If you are a homeowner in Texas and want to list on the MLS without a realtor you can use the services of flat fee MLS Texas companies.
With a flat fee MLS Texas service, you will pay a small fee rather than a listing agent’s full commission. It is the quickest route to get listed on the MLS and enter the market.
Here is how to list with a flat fee MLS listing service:
- Find a flat fee MLS Texas company online. Most of these companies have a strong online presence. In some communities, flat fee brokers also have brick-and-mortar offices akin to traditional realtors. Besides listing on the MLS, these firms generally provide a suite of services that you can buy a la carte.
- Pick a service that will not bind you in a contract and lets you cancel the listing at any time.
- Check that your property is listed on the MLS by asking for a printout. Ensure that the details of the house are correct and if not then request for the changes.
How to choose a flat fee MLS firm?
Look for a firm that offers these key features and services:
- Complete local MLS coverage – Ensure that the company lists your property on all important MLSs in your area.
- Lots of photos – Around 25 photos are good enough for a listing. However, most firms have a limit of 5-7 photos in their basic plans.
- Ample space for listing description – Some flat fee MLS Texas companies have a strict character limit for listing descriptions. This is an important feature as buyers seek such information. So, find plans that give you sufficient space to describe your property’s key selling points.
- Sufficient listing term – Pick a package that offers a listing term of at least 6 months. Selling a house without a realtor takes time and you would not want to pay renewal fees every short while.
We have outlined some top flat fee MLS Texas firms to make the choice easier for you. Let’s get started.
Set up in 2017, Houzeo is a 100% online real estate tech firm. It combines cutting-edge technology with great customer support.
With this flat fee MLS company, you can list your home within two business days. Houzeo’s packages are a small flat fee, starting from $349. This will save you a lot of money on the listing agent’s commission.
The listing will be syndicated to the local MLS and hundreds of other websites like Zillow, Redfin, Trulia, etc.
The company has a great customer rating of 4.9/5 on key review platforms like Trustpilot and Google.
You can check out Houzeo reviews for more information.
Congress Realty is a good option for sellers who are looking for many a la carte options. You will have to fill out all the information about your property and pay the listing fee online.
The company makes all the paperwork available in e-format. Once you submit these documents, your house will get listed on the MLS within a day.
Congress Realty has 4 plans – basic, plus, premium, and full service. These cost $299, $399, $499 and $399 + 0.5% of the sale value, respectively.
The company also offers a la carte services for an additional fee. It even has a phone system, which forwards calls about your listing to you directly.
This flat fee MLS Texas company was founded in 2002. It offers two plans – A & B – costing $600 and $1,400 respectively.
The listing will be accompanied by a key lock box and a yard sign – services most flat fee MLS companies charge extra for.
Sellers can also upgrade to a flat fee full-service plan with Creekview.
However, even the base plan is more costly than similar MLS listing from the counterparts.
This is a great option for budget-conscious sellers who want the most for their money. The basic plan, which costs $45, does not have a lot of extra features but is a very affordable option given the services at that price point.
If you buy the other package that costs $95, you will get free broker consultations as well.
On the downside, the base package does not include free updates to the description and status. Also, you will have to shell out extra if you need help with documentation and disclosures.
This is by no means a comprehensive list of flat fee MLS Texas companies and there are several other alternatives. But it gives you a basic overview of where to start.